The Fears We Love
Entries are now open for the Continuum 13 (C13)/Natcon 56 amateur short story competition, sponsored by the Australian Science Fiction Foundation!
Since 1992 the Australian Science Fiction Foundation (ASFF) has provided sponsorship funds to the Australian National Science Fiction Convention (the Natcon) to run an Amateur SF competition.
We are pleased to announce the C13 short story competition, with cash prizes going to adult and junior winners, along with publication in the conbook.
Theme: Triskaidekaphilia – the fears we love. Whether it’s the thrill of a heart jump-started by the killer’s sudden appearance in a horror movie, or the building dread that comes of a suspenseful novel read in a dark room by candlelight as the hounds bay on the moors, humans love being scared. Fear is one of our deepest, most primal emotions, and it can be sparked by so very many things. Come tell your tale, be it fantastical, sci-fi, or straight up horror, before the shadows grow longer than they should…
OPEN (age 18 and up): 1st prize $200 | 2nd prize $100 | 3rd prize $50
JUNIOR (18 and under): 1st prize $90 | 2nd prize $40 | 3rd prize $20
To enter the open competition, authors must be either a member or a supporting member of C13, or pay a $20 entry fee. (Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re not sure whether or not you’re a member yet!) Entry to the junior competition is FREE.
Entries must be received by midnight Sunday 30th April 2017.
- Stories must be no more than 3000 words.
- Stories must be speculative and fit the theme of ‘the fears we love’.
- Only one entry per person can be submitted.
- Stories must not be previously published.
- ‘Amateur’ means the writer must have received no payment other than contributor copies and other incidentals (coffee mug, t-shirt, poster, etc) for any work they may have had published.
- Only original fiction will be accepted — no fan fiction or other derivative or transformative works.
- Stories must follow usual formatting e.g. 12pt Times New Roman, double spaced.
- The stories will be blind-read so please ensure your name is not present on the story, in either the body or the header/footer.
- Stories must be submitted by email in DOC, DOCX, PDF or RTF format to email@example.com by midnight Sunday 30th April 2017.
- Entries will be read and a shortlist created by C13 committee members. Seanan McGuire, our Guest of Honour, will then select the winners from the shortlist.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The judge is unable to give feedback on submissions.
- Winning entries will be published in the C13 conbook. Authors maintain copyright over their work.
13 Word Story Competition
Write us a speculative fiction story… in exactly 13 words!
Stories are to be submitted via twitter, using #con13words. A shortlist will be published in the con book, and a winner will be announced during the convention.
Stories do not need to fit a theme — the word count is the challenge.